Tuesday, October 17, 2006

It's Official...

It's officially COLD! I understand that winter has unmistakeably come to many places, what with record snowfall in New York, snow in Wyoming, and finally a break in the Redding summer heat (I hear the violins playing for you, California! lol!) And while I cannot say that "winter" is officially here, because the locals just laugh at me when I say that, I CAN say that it is now DEFINITELY cold!

Today the low temperature is 25F/-3C and high was 39F/4C. That may not sound like much to you Arctic penguins out there, but please factor in 80% humidity and an 11mph/18kmphr north wind. This California girl already has her long johns, wool socks, wool scarf, wool gloves, and down jacket pressed into service. (Let me just say right here and now that I LOVE my sister Leanne!)

At my house, the radiators have not been turned on yet, but I have an electric heater in my room. And with the host mama canning tomatoes all day, the stove has heated the house considerably. But at school, there is (as yet) no heat. We were all (students and teachers) wearing our jackets during class!

So what am I going to do when it gets "really" cold??? Well, I was wearing 2-4 layers today. I can always up that to 4-6 layers, and just wear my whole wardrobe. One thing I will probably invest in while I'm here is a pair of boots. I have seen the most beautiful fur-lined, knee-high boots! Spendy, but it will be totally worth it! And they might even look kinda cool with a skirt...NOT like the knee-high boots that were in fashion here all summer, with 4 inch stiletto heels...more like the Australian-style Ugg boots that are the rage in California...

Here's to being from California!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been getting down in the upper 40's and up in the 70's here. In the house it hasn't gotten below 64 yet, but Heather's been wearing 2-3 layers of clothes and is cold all the time! Maybe I'll send her to Moldova to experience 'real' cold.

Thu Oct 19, 03:18:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Emily said...

I have a feeling that if she is cold THERE, she wouldn't like it much here during the winter! My friends and family in the Midwest and the Great Plains tell me that Moldova "winter" is just child's play compared to the blizzards they have there. Hmph! All I know is that wool socks, long-johns, and scarf are like pure heaven! Besides, they say winter hasn't really come yet. Arg!

Fri Oct 20, 01:03:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home